Back with a Heaty Vengeance
I'm back with a new post. After almost 5 months of silence. Miss me, anyone?
The heat in London is stifling. It's been cresting 90 degrees F the last couple of days with bright, sunny skies. People (of every shape and size) everywhere have taken it upon themselves to get a tan. Maybe this is not such a good idea after all, at least for this one guy that I saw outside my apartment. He kinda' looked like a plump, sweaty hedgehog. Not good. Not good at all.
The one thing you notice here is that Londoners are really pale. The melanin in their skin must go "eek" during winter and do as submarines do - dive, dive, dive, way beneath the skin's surface. To compensate, during the 5 days that we have sunny skies and hot weather, all articles of clothing are shed in an effort to coax those color bodies to come up for air.
It's quite remarkable actually. An 85 degree day in Houston during the summer would be considered a magnificently comfortable, perhaps even cool-ish day. An 85 degree day in London has headlines splayed in the newspapers warning of a "Heatwave". Newspapers also herald the tube trains as "deathtraps" during these "heatwaves". The transport authority asks passengers to bring along a bottle of water in case the train suddenly stops between stations and a heat crisis erupts. This worries me. Mind you, I don't think I would die from the high temperatures. I'll probably try to slice my own wrists beforehand because I have, what you may call, a sensitive nose. And I'm not too sure I can handle the amalgam of odors from the mass of bodies smushed together in a train carriage. And I sure hope "Hedgehog Guy" isn't close by when this scenario occurs.
It's supposed to thunder tomorrow and then cool down into the weekend. Back to our average summer temperatures of the low to mid 70s by Saturday, according to the weatherfolk. Ooh-la-la. This is the best kind of summer of all.
The heat in London is stifling. It's been cresting 90 degrees F the last couple of days with bright, sunny skies. People (of every shape and size) everywhere have taken it upon themselves to get a tan. Maybe this is not such a good idea after all, at least for this one guy that I saw outside my apartment. He kinda' looked like a plump, sweaty hedgehog. Not good. Not good at all.
The one thing you notice here is that Londoners are really pale. The melanin in their skin must go "eek" during winter and do as submarines do - dive, dive, dive, way beneath the skin's surface. To compensate, during the 5 days that we have sunny skies and hot weather, all articles of clothing are shed in an effort to coax those color bodies to come up for air.
It's quite remarkable actually. An 85 degree day in Houston during the summer would be considered a magnificently comfortable, perhaps even cool-ish day. An 85 degree day in London has headlines splayed in the newspapers warning of a "Heatwave". Newspapers also herald the tube trains as "deathtraps" during these "heatwaves". The transport authority asks passengers to bring along a bottle of water in case the train suddenly stops between stations and a heat crisis erupts. This worries me. Mind you, I don't think I would die from the high temperatures. I'll probably try to slice my own wrists beforehand because I have, what you may call, a sensitive nose. And I'm not too sure I can handle the amalgam of odors from the mass of bodies smushed together in a train carriage. And I sure hope "Hedgehog Guy" isn't close by when this scenario occurs.
It's supposed to thunder tomorrow and then cool down into the weekend. Back to our average summer temperatures of the low to mid 70s by Saturday, according to the weatherfolk. Ooh-la-la. This is the best kind of summer of all.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home