Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I miss London already and other random thoughts

It's been almost a month and a bit since I left London.

And I miss it so.

I miss my friends, the Thames Clipper ferries, my favourite Japanese restaurant of all time (Shogun in Mayfair), the weather in the summer, Westminster Abbey, discount airlines that fly out of Stansted, the Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown. And did I mention my friends?

OK, I guess I do kinda' miss the Jubilee line as well. Just a teensy bit. But maybe without the smells and drunken yobs who sing.

It seems like I'm starting over now that I'm back in the States. Well, I kinda' am in a foreign land. The land of Louisiana (I heard a local say that we put the "Lose" in Louisiana - not encouraging at all, is it?). It's about as different from Houston as one can imagine. Oh, the summers are the same brand of hot in both New Orleans and Houston. But that's about the only thing these two places have in common.

Right now it's about 80 degrees (about 27 C) in my condo. I have to keep the thermostat up that high because electricity is freakin' expensive here. And I can't shop around because there's only one monopoly provider in town. They say that rates are (fingers making quotation mark signs) regulated, but unless that means they're regulated to remain high, I doubt that does anybody good except the fat cats at the electric company.

The cable company is also a monopoly. I'll leave my special cable installation story for another post because there's gobs of funny (not ha-ha funny, more like funny because otherwise I'd be crying) anecdotes with that story.

But the people here are really friendly. They like to talk to you, even as you're just dropping off the trash in the trash chute or picking up mail from the mailbox.

And I don't know what it is with some of the older ladies (you know who you are) - they're friendly, no doubt, but a wee bit scary. Scary how, you ask. Well, let me tell you. It seems as if they've spent too much time under one of those rotisserie grill chicken things that rotate - you know, the ones you see at WalMart or Sam's Club. Their skin looks like it's about ready to tear apart at the slightest perturbation. Yup. Extra crispy old lady skin. Nice. Just threw up a bit in the back of my mouth remembering the last one I spoke to.

The last random thing I'll put in this post is what my Mom told me when I was looking for a condo. Quote, "Don't get one of those places that's got a voodoo curse placed on it". Geez. What rampant superstition.

Ow. Stabbing pain in my side. Wonder what brought that on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Daddy_Stony said...

Hey Dude,
well good to hear you are settling in way back across the lake. But 27 deg C that's just so cool (compared to 40 deg C)

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home